Sometimes it catches us entirely off guard. Those rare quiet days where we find ourselves with nothing to do and nowhere to go. The clouds cover and darken the sky and then slowly but surely a light rain sets in. Nothing heavy, no thunder or lightning just drizzling and then rain. Weather that is guaranteed to put a damper on anything and everything we had planned. What will we do now? Stuck inside with nothing to do and nowhere to go, we turn to the most dangerous thing anyone has ever or will ever do, think.
There’s no danger to be had when you’re busy. Even when death comes knocking, it happens so quick you don’t notice it until it’s too late and you have a foot in the grave. Taxes, mortgages, final exams, due dates, picking the kids up from daycare, picking up takeout for dinner or even brushing your teeth before bed. They are all white noise keeping your mind from wandering about what in the hell you’re really doing. Nothing kills people more than social security or a pension. Trying to make it long enough to collect either has ruined far more lives than it has ever helped.
Imagine, if only for a second, you wake up one day grey and old. Pension and social security checks in hand with a home that’s empty. You have nothing to do all day long but to ask yourself, what do I do now? How did I get here? Some look forward to having nothing more than this. I can think of nothing scarier or of no worse hell of my own design. Better to have those rainy days now than to wait and have nothing but rainy days.
Thinking is something we all believe we do all day long. In reality, we’re on autopilot 95% of the time. The other 5% we try our best to avoid with facebook, tv, candy crush and sleeping. It’s not fun facing those things we find uncomfortable or different. Life is the most difficult and scariest thing we can ever really do. We only get that one shot to do the best we can. More often than not we spend it trying to get to the end where we think comfort and endless free time will make us happy beyond belief. Nothing could be farther from the truth.
What do you really want to do with your life? Why aren’t you doing it? If you spend your life trying to get a check or a pension, did you ever really live? Being hungry teaches you how good food can taste, being cold shows you how important a fire or loved one can be and more importantly doing without teaches you to appreciate those who you truly want to be with. You’ll never know anyone of this unless you spend that rainy day trapped inside the house and your mind taking the time to think. Who am I? Don’t be afraid of rainy weather and never be afraid to think for your self.
Be true to yourself. Make each day a masterpiece. Help others. Drink deeply from good books. Make friendship a fine art. Build a shelter against a rainy day.
– John Wooden